Friday, November 13, 2009

Making a List & Checking it Twice - 10 Books I Love to Give

As we approach the holiday gift-giving season, I thought I'd start making my own lists of suggestions starting off with 10 books I'd love to recommend.  I confess, only one of these is actually a recent release, but all of my suggested titles are in print and available on Amazon.  They follow in alphabetical order by title.

The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho) - This slim volume presents the story of Santiago, but it's such a well-written fable that it's timeless.  The plus side for this book is that it also comes in several, different editions which make it perfect for gift-giving depending on your budget.

City of Shadows: A Novel of Suspense (Ariana Franklin) - Do you like a good mystery?  Do you love historical novels?  City of Shadows is a perfect combination of these two elements.  Set in post WWI Berlin, it mixes desperate liars, Nazis, and a whiff of deposed royalty in the form of a puzzle and a desperate race against time.

Dead Until Dark (Charlaine Harris) -  I confess that I haven't read the Twilight series yet, but I had to include one vampire novel on the list.  It was a toss up between Charlaine Harris' Southern vampire series (which spawned the HBO series True Blood) and Mary Janice Davidson's which starts off with Undead and Unwed.  In the end I went with Charlaine Harris' and her heroine Sookie Stackhouse because who doesn't love a cameo by Elvis?

Everyone Worth Knowing (Lauren Weisberger) - This one comes from the same author who wrote The Devil Wears Prada - okay, it's the same basic storyline with a different setting.  Everyone Worth Knowing is still one of my favorites in the girl-meets-starry-lifestyle novel.    It's not a demanding book to read, but it's a fun one if you like to read about sex, alcohol, fashion, and a fabulously shallow lifestyle.

Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams: Inspiration for Living Life Outside the Lines (Jim Lewis) - This is a very thin book with a very big message.  The drawings were done by Jim Henson, but the quotes throughout (unless otherwise specified) were not Henson's own.  It's still a great little book that gives you a five-minute pick-me-up when you flip through its pages.

The Little Drummer Girl  (John LeCarre) - First published in 1983, this story places us inside the minds of the brilliant actress Charlie who finds herself taking on the greatest role of her life - an international spy whose mission is to save lives at the cost of her own soul.   The time frame is somewhat dated, but the message is just as relevant today as it was when first published.

Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West (Daniel Ladinsky) - No matter what your perspective of the Divine, it's impossible to read this collection of poems and not find something tugging inside your heart to hear the music that floats beneath the words. 

Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking  (Madhur Jaffrey) - I have several Indian cookbooks in my collection, but this was the first one that I bought.  It breaks down Indian cooking into simple steps, and it describes the spices you'll need to bring the magic of a good Indian restaurant home to your own kitchen.

The Magicians (Lev Grossman) - Although this book was marketed heavily as Harry Potter for adults, I really feel that the description does a disservice to the book.  This book is far more than just a bit of wand waving (there are very few wands used in The Magicians, actually), and I'm already talked three of my friends into buying it so I'll have to find them something else for the holidays.   (Note - This book does contain quite a bit of language, so if four-letter words are not your forte, don't get the audio version of this book.)

The Thurber Carnival (James Thurber) - I've been in love with James Thurber's writing for ages.  If you've never discovered his humorous style, this book is an excellent introduction.  Two words - puppy biscuit.  Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment