Saturday, November 7, 2009

This Is It

I went to see This Is It last Saturday, but I'm just now putting up my review of the film.   I absolutely loved it.

I was afraid that the movie would be sad with references to Michael Jackson's recent death. I probably held my breath for the first fifteen minutes, waiting for the sadness I was sure would be there. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised by how upbeat the entire film made me feel. It has warmth and unexpected humor in places. What an amazing show that would have been if Michael Jackson had lived to do the concert.

There are a lot of numbers that you see Michael do with his dancers and his band - and those men/women are pretty amazing dancers/performers in their own right. Some of the songs are incredible - the new version of Thriller was spectacular with its film effects, and Smooth Criminal was another one that blended music/video performance.

Billie Jean really brought the audience to life in the theater where I watched the film. People had already been singing along at times, but almost everyone went wild for this song. Michael was truly in his element as he sang/danced that number, and it translated to singing, dancing, and even a few screams from members of the viewing audience. (We had a lively bunch in our theater!)

It was a really well done piece, and it definitely benefited from being shown in a large screen format. I give it two thumbs up even if you only liked Michael Jackson's music. I went with my husband (not a huge MJ fan) and my daughter (huge MJ fan), and it was a winner across the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment